New Regional Evaluators expand CTI Certification opportunities
As of TISE West/Surfaces, there are 10 new Regional Evaluators at your service for the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation’s (CTEF) Certified Tile Installer (CTI) Certification program. That means that installers no longer need wait until classes reach 10 or more students before they are able to take the hands-on portion of the exam and achieve industry-recognized certification and validation of skills and knowledge.
Qualified labor, like CTI Certification and the Advanced Certifications for Tile Installers (ACT), has been included in the MasterSpec and is being specified by more members of the A&D community.
The CTI test consists of a written, open-book, 155 question, multiple-choice exam that can be taken online and a live, in-person, hands-on test, which is monitored and assessed by Regional Evaluators. In it, installers must demonstrate their ability to execute a complex layout and proper installation of vapor retarder membrane, backer board, tile (walls and floors), cementitious grout, and flexible sealant (caulk). For each installation material, the applicant is scored on the various aspects of workmanship relevant to producing an installation that will endure use and satisfy the discriminating client.
Those who pass both parts of the exam receive a CTI certificate, plastic wallet ID card, CTI logo for use on cards, vehicles, websites and other marketing materials, consumer brochures and a listing on the CTEF website. Any installer who has had at least two years of verifiable experience as the lead installer setting ceramic tile on a full-time basis is eligible to take the CTI exam. Study materials are supplied for those undergoing the test.
Led by Regional Evaluator coordinator Kevin Insalato, this troupe of Regional Evaluators now includes:
- Brad Denny, Nichols Tile & Terrazzo – Joelton, Tenn.
- Dan Hecox, Hecox Construction – York, Neb.
- Joe Kerber at Kerber Tile – Shakopee, Minn.
- Matt Newbold, Elite tile Setters – Lehi Utah.
- Dave Rogers, Welch Tile – Kent City, Mich.
- Tom Cravillion, Cravillion Tile – Plymouth, Wis.
- Triniti Vigil, J&R Tile – San Antonio Texas.
- Rafael Lopez, California Flooring – Manteno, Ill.
- Mark Heinlein, NTCA trainer
- Robb Roderick , NTCA trainer
In addition, Scott Carothers, director of Training and Certification for CTEF, is conducting CTI exams, with plans to concentrate on and grow ACT certifications in the future. This team of evaluators has expanded the opportunities for CTI certification. The current schedule of CTI certifications is as follows:
- February 21 – Heuler Tile, Pewaukee, WI
- March 10 –CTEF Facility, Pendleton, SC
- March 17 –ISC Surfaces, Kansas City, KS
- March 18 – The Tile Shop, Lombard, Ill.
- April 4-6 –Coverings ’17, Orlando, FL
- April 25 – Fire Keepers Casino, Battle Creek, MI.
- May 12 – CTEF Facility, Pendleton, SC
- May 19 – ISC Surfaces, Kansas City, KS
- July 14 – CTEF Facility, Pendleton, SC
- September 15 – CTEF Facility, Pendleton, SC
- September 22 – ISC Surfaces, Kansas City, KS
- November 17 – CTEF Facility, Pendleton, SC
- December 8 –ISC Surfaces, Kansas City, KS
There are two more March testing dates in regional locales in Utah and San Antonio awaiting approval.
Visit the CTEF website at https://www.ceramictilefoundation.o
rg/events to check the calendar for new locations and CTI test opportunities as they become available; and this site to https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/certified-tile-installer-cti-program to learn more about becoming a Certified Tile Installer.